Feb 3, 2009

Ubuntu update with some display complications

After an update yesterday that included some linux-headers, my screen resolution for Ubuntu 8.04 was all messed up (I couldn't get anything better then 800x600 on my Dell M1710.

Needless to say I was irritated considering the native resolution should have been 1920x1200 @ 80mhz. I tried doing various reinstalls and removals of things referencing nvidia from synaptic, but didn't get any sucess. A least until I found a reference to a little tool called Envy.

That certainly made things function and could not have been easier. It requires that you uninstall any previous drivers, but I had already taken care of that. Typing sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk got the tool downloaded from the repositories and envyng -t got it running. You get 8 options and have to type in one of the numbers (simple right). I choose 1 since I wanted to install the NVIDIA driver. A few minutes letter I had all the drivers I needed. I also got the sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings package for the GUI tweaks for the display.

Simple as that, or complex as that depending on your perspective. Regardless, I'm now running stably at 1920x1200 @ 79mhz and am loving it.

0 comments:

Based on original Visionary template by Justin Tadlock
Visionary Reloaded theme by Blogger Templates

Visionary WordPress Theme by Justin Tadlock Powered by Blogger, state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform